Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Toddlers move very quickly

Okay, a couple of funny Zoey stories. I have to find them funny, or I will lose my mind. I was busy cooking dinner for us (chicken, spinach), so I wasn’t keeping my two eyes on her. I saw her climb onto a chair and start exploring the stuff on top of the dining room table. We don’t eat there very often, so it had a good bit of junk, but nothing dangerous that I could think of. Then I saw her scramble down very quickly and scamper into the living room. No big deal, I thought. I kept cooking, and after a minute or two I went in to check on her. She had grabbed one of the chocolate bunnies on a stick left over from her Easter basket, chocolate bunnies that I had actually gotten for Trey because I don’t give her candy. And yes, she was eating it. Her face was covered in chocolate and aluminum foil. Two-year-olds, especially ones that don’t get candy, don’t know that the foil is supposed to be taken off.

I got whatever foil was in her mouth and took away the chocolate bunny. I was terrified that she could choke on some candy foil. Okay, so maybe I’m a bad mommy for not letting her have the chocolate (I put stickers and alphabet letters in her Easter eggs). Fortunately, I found a bunch of foil on the ground later that evening; Zoey probably decided it tasted bad.

During dinner, I came back from the kitchen to find Zoey dunking her chicken in the milk. I gasped and she dropped the chicken into the milk. She did this because Zoey loves the idea of dipping food into things; she watches with such curiosity as I put my French fries into ketchup or cream gravy (mmm…Whataburger chicken tender combo meal). I let her dip, which she does eagerly, only she doesn’t then actually eat the French fry, instead just sucking the ketchup or cream gravy off and then, yes, double-dipping. I try to explain that the condiment is actually there to help the food taste better, and demonstrate the method over and over again, but she has yet to grasp the concept. The other day, my sister and I were eating dumplings and dipping them in the soy sauce. Zoey loves the dumpling sauce, but instead of eating the dumpling, she just continuously dipped her fork into the sauce like it was soup. After a few minutes of her getting into little plastic container (and spilling much sauce) I got her onto Sarah’s, and then I got her a little ramekin of her own. She spent the rest of the dinner eating the “soup.”

“Mmm, good soup,” she said. Zoey loves soup.

Hmm, maybe the stories aren't so funny, really.

Things are happening with us; possible move to Austin on the horizen. Very possible move.

2 Comments:

Blogger Found in the Alley said...

"Never" is such a strong word. Never? Really? Well, we never had soda or candies at our house either. I'd get them when I'd go to my grandmother's though.

I have no appetite for sodas now -and only recently, acquired a taste for sweets. So maybe all that sugar-policing on my mom's part paid off. But I remember thinking that mom was so uncool because we didn't have these things in the fridge that I'd see at other kids' houses, oh and cable too and a color tv.

One other thing, we never ever ever had fast food.

Now, when I eat french fries I eat twice as much ketchup as frie. Zoey rules.

11:15 AM  
Blogger bb said...

ditto for me about the sweets and tv. sodas were on RARE occcasions. fast food was only sometimes during road trips.. i never cared for sweets much either (especially chocolate), but now that i'm pregnant i like them a LOT more, maybe kilians pregnant. haha.

i love ketchup too.. and ranch dressing and the tangy zip of miracle whip! oh, honey mustard... yeah~

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home