Friday, October 28, 2005

Zoey's wised up

She no longer goes merrily into the schoolyard to play with her friends. Instead, five blocks from school she starts saying, "I don't wanna go to school!" The tears start. The nose runs (she's getting over a cold which has morphed into a sinus infection). "I just want to go back to the new telephone room!" It's heartbreaking.

So I have to hang out a little bit longer at school, wipe her nose, dry her tears, explain that I'll be right back and remind her that she likes school. Because she does. She loves being around other kids and playing. She made some art the other week. It's a red blob of paint, circular on one side and then trailing off in random lines, entitled "Red Tree." Although, it perhaps would be better titled, "Blood Stain on my Heart Because My Mommy Leaves Me Here."

Still, it's a process, this growing up thing. And really, she's been such a trooper through all this change. I'm sure she's glad the Astros are done playing, as not mommy doesn't have to watch the ball games every freaking night. It's a relief to me, too, as those games got pretty depressing at the end. I swear, I was in a real funk after game 3. It just seemed so sad for such a miracle season to end this way. But you know, if you can't get people across home plate, you just can't expect to win.

4 Comments:

Blogger bb said...

you'll feel better if you come visit us next year....! hehe.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Found in the Alley said...

The same thing happens to the girl who works across from me, Herjerica. Her daughter, Maddy, is in the Sears Day Care which is on the campus. For a long time Herjerica wouldn't bring Maddy to her cube because she didn't want her to know how close the day care is to her cubical. It's heartbreaking and I'm pretty sure that Herjerica has called in "sick" but really just bowed to the pressure.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Powergirl said...

This is the normal "novelty of new school wears off and child finally has an adjustment period" phase. I always warn parents about this when their phase in to my environment goes a little bit too smoothly.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Powergirl said...

Susan, girl, you never fail to crack me up!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home