Sunday, September 10, 2006

My spider

In response to Little Miss Messycovers post about her spider, here are a few pictures of the nocturnal spider that lives right outside my backdoor. Every night he comes out of his hiding place and builds a big web.





I don't know what kind of spider it is (it's not the same as Miss Messycover's spider). I had previously suspected it was a wolf spider, but she didn't think wolf spider's made webs, so who knows. She (the spider) also doesn't have a name yet. She does have a nice little spot for herself, though, as I see her eating some tastly little morsal almost every time I go take a look at her.

On edit: I'm pretty sure it's a garden orb spider. Still haven't named her.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mari said...

That's not a giant hand...that's his dinner.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Found in the Alley said...

Is this like spider season? The other day as I was walking from the garage to the house I noticed a spider had built a web from the topmost of the suffit to the porch rail which is at least fifteen feet. But that ain't nothing you can see spiders on the ledge of the 96th floor in the John Hancock Skybar.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Powergirl said...

check out whatsthatbug.com
i think it could be this
http://kaweahoaks.com/html/neoscona_oaxacensis.html
whadda ya think

3:09 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

Thanks for the link messycovers--yes, I do think that's the one. It's web is pretty big (though not more than 2 feet, as it builds it using the triangle of the eave and the house) and it does actually just wait in the middle of the web for prey.

Good catch!

Oh, and weirdly I had posted a response yesterday but my computer ate it. Yum.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Victor said...

how did you add your sight to google search engine please tell me

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home