Friday, October 29, 2004

yippee for democracy!

I voted yesterday at the large, multi-cultural Fiesta mart near my parents house. The line snaked through the international section, about 200 feet long, but went pretty quickly. Those Jamaicans sure do make some interesting sodas. I almost bought a Mauby, and some Indian rice crispies.

It felt good to vote and be done with it. Even though I'm really voting against someone, it was satisfying to have my voice heard (hopefully) in its own small little way. I do hope that with all this electronic-voting technology, the election does go without significant fraud. Oh, who am I kidding, whether there is fraud or not, there's still going to be wild accusations of fraud thrown about the country. No matter who wins, the other side will shout "unfair!" We'll have to wait days, months, maybe even years before the matter is settled. And even then, half of the country won't even recognize the president as legitimate.

I found a newsgroup somewhere regarding people who were already planning to hit the street if Bush wins again and there's a whiff of theft in the air. The democrats won't sit back and take it if it goes to the supreme court; lawyers are waiting with briefs already written. And of course, should Kerry win, no doubt thousands of conservatives have their protest plans ready. This will get ugly. I am not looking forward to it.

Best case scenario is a landslide victory. But I've lived in Texas long enough to know that one never counts a Bushie out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home