Tuesday, October 19, 2004

A few minor thoughts...and, oh yeah, GO ASTROS!

I spent most of my morning (pre-baby wake-up) reading a long, thought-provoking article about the president in the NYT by Ron Suskind. It tries to describe the president's transition from "self-help Methodist, very open, seeking," to the overly certain Caeser we have now. The most interesting quote I've come across is this:

"The aide said that guys like me were ''in what we call the reality-based community,'' which he defined as people who ''believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.'' I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. ''That's not the way the world really works anymore,'' he continued. ''We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.''

It's really stunning, and perfectly explanatory considering the circumstances of our government today. The powers that be are cutting new paths through the wilderness and seem to feel that any consequences are nature's (sorry, God's) intended course. Personally, as a person of much self-doubt prone to self-reflection, this type of action seems foolish and intemperate. Stupid, even. And it's one of the reasons I'm voting against him. Another reason is so that I can look my daughter in the eyes and say it wasn't me when she starts asking where all the clean air went.

On a happier note...Oh my God those Astros! What a joy to see them NOT collapse in the first round, and to actually play some good ball when it really counts. There are things I miss about being in Colorado, like (mostly) the weather, the mountains, and Trey, but I'm very glad to be in Houston to watch the city go nuts over the playoffs. We just need one more win, and it'll be a battle to get it. Regardless, it's a good time for a lifelong Astros fan.

Here's today's photo. I picked this lovely little fall scene as a reaction to today's blistering hot and humid 96 degrees (heat index 104). Really, it's gross outside.

It was taken on Aspen Mountain a few minutes outside of Santa Fe. On that day the weather was 50 degrees and dry as a bone. Lovely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home