Wednesday, November 02, 2005



Zoey was a princess/cinderella for Halloween this year. She wanted to be Cinderella, though she's never seen the movie and only knows about Cinderella from a certain Blues Clues episode. In any case, as they've recently released the DVD, target was overflowing with Cinderella stuff. You could actually buy a kids Cinderella costume for less than $16 (for an extra $10 you could get the glass slippers, too). I, however, didn't really like the official costume, thought it would probably be too big for her anyway, and instead bought a random princess leotard I found discarded in the costume section for $20. My thinking sort of was that this way she could play dress up ballerina or princess with it for the next two years (provided it doesn't get destroyed before that). Besides, it's Texas, and one never knows whether it's going to be hot or cold on Halloween. When I bought the dress, it was hot. The picture is actually from the weekend before, at the Houston Zoo's "Zoo Boo," where we went with Kelly and Olivia.

Zoey had a good time at the Zoo Boo; she got to ride the carrousel and dance to the DJ spinning in front of the monkey exhibit. Halloween, unfortunately, was a different story. She was excited to wear her princess costume ("I am a princess!" she'd say, her arms raised high over her head in exclamation.) She wore it to school that day, and to Kelly's friend's Halloween party in South Austin, where the plan was to take all the kids trick or treating together. I was excited about the trick or treating, because even though I don't really let Zoey eat candy, I certainly allow myself some sugar and the idea of having a plastic pumpkin full of sweets sounded pretty good to me. Plus, I thought Zoey would get a kick out of seeing all the other kids playing dress up. Except, sometimes the parents play dress up as well, and well, they like to be scary. So, at the party, there was an adult who dressed up like one of the Misfits, complete with scary face paint. He absolutely terrified Zoey. Everytime she saw him she ran into me and squeezed me so tightly I almost choked, tears streaming down her face. "No more! No More!" Poor guy. He felt so bad. The other adults kept telling him to go away from her sight. Supposedly he's actually a really nice guy. But after seeing him, Zoey was pretty much done. Even the kids started scaring her. We had to curtail the trick or treating after three houses (which means very little candy for me).

We went back to Kelly's friend's house to wait for Kelly and Gerry and Olivia (who, btw, was having a great time trick or treating), but even that was too long of a wait for my scarred little girl. Some kids came up to the house and tried to make her feel better, but one of them was dressed as a witch and Zoey wouldn't even look at her. She was a sweet witch, though, promising to not put a spell on her. So it was back to the new telephone room.

I did allow her to eat one peanut butter cup, which she said was "very good." Of course, now she just wants to eat more candy, and keeps asking for something from the pumpkin. Except, well, the pumpkins pretty empty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home