Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I see floor!

We are settling in, even though there are still many boxes full of CRAP! surrounding us. Really, so much freaking CRAP!, I don't even know what all of it is. I had a couple of boxes of kitchen stuff that I'd not bothered to unpack for a couple of years and found a few things I'd totally forgotten about. Like the fancy silver serving platter. For all those fancy dinners I host. It was still in the box, a 7-year-old wedding gift. (My apologies if you gave it to me.)

In any case, I've actually run out of storage space in the kitchen. The kitchen is big, but it's mostly empty square floor space. There really isn't much counter space, and actually one counter seems to have gone missing. There's a wall cabinet, hanging over nothing. Surely there was something there at one time, no? No matter, I'll just have to buy something, or find something, preferably something with drawers, because I'd like more drawers. There are only two decent sized drawers in the kitchen, and two skinny drawers that hover over their matching skinny cabinets. Really, what are you supposed to put in these 8" wide things? Right now i have linens and CRAP!.
(Seriously, dish towels and a plastic bag full of empty, unmarked spice jars.) There's another 8" drawer over an 8" door that opens into a bigger cabinet, but since the opening is so thin, I only have thin things in there. Like my narrow blenders, and that espresso machine that I've used maybe 30 times in 8 years.

WTF were the builders thinking? Were they laughing when they installed the cabinets? I think they were.

So, some day, when I have money, I'll find something to go under the wall cabinet, and I'd also like to get some kind of kitchen cart/island on casters, to get more counter space. I'll need at least one largish space to roll out the dough for all those homemade pies I make. Mmmm pie.

Just kidding, I've only made two homemade pies, and they had graham cracker crusts.

Kitchen bitchen aside, I really love this house. It's got a great, wide open and welcoming vibe to it. I love the cavernous living/dining area with it's pretty wood floors (even though there are still way too many boxes in it). I love the master bedroom and even the craptastically huge master bathroom with the ugly wallpaper. And I really love the upstairs gameroom/office, where I spend much of my time working on the computer in front of windows that overlook nothing but tree branches and the neighbor's roof, and nothing looks back at me except sky and eaves.

6 Comments:

Blogger bb said...

craptastic, haaha.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i smell a trip to ikea! (mmmmm...ikea...smells good, like pie) we have one of those thin, useless cabinets too. it stores the wendell/evans CRAP!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Mari said...

Oh, sweet Ikea, how I will visit you as soon as I get my deposit back from the rent house...

10:13 AM  
Blogger Found in the Alley said...

Ha, I read this just as Tricia and I got back from shelling out 4 g's for cabinets. But they're ordered and we're getting excited.

There was one 6 inch space where I told the maker I don't think we'll get anything in there but he said he's gonna build in a cookie sheet drawer. I guess we'll have to start making cookies.

We're building an island too so maybe I can come down and help Trey build one after I've learned how.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

send more pictures of the house- I want to see this kitchen you speak of. Oh yeah- put yourself in the photo too cause I miss you!!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Found in the Alley said...

The last photo, where you're looking in the fridge, is now Tricia's laptop background photo. Doors, so clean, so clean.

I dig that crazy tree doing the limbo.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home