Monday, August 30, 2004

It's amazing how fast August has come and gone

It's amazing how fast August has come and gone. I thought it would last forever as I waited to go to Colorado. Now there's only one more day left in the month, and the baby shower is this Saturday.

And I have a busy week planned. Mostly full of cleaning, boxing and organizing. I want to put away a lot of our "stuff," the random things we don't want to get rid of, but really don't need in the house anymore. It's intimidating, putting all the "stuff" away, rather, just going through it, piece by piece and wondering if it's even worth keeping. And if it's not, I need to get it to the high school's junior garage sale. There's so much to do.

Random thoughts of the morning: The Republican National Convention. I think I'll watch even less of this than the Democratic one, although generally the Republicans tend to do political theater better. It'll be harder to ignore the soundbites, but since I rarely watch TV news they'll at least come to me in printed form and I can use my own imagination to change the inflections and tones as I see fit. I can pretend Zell Miller's voice is just like Elmo's.

The Olympics: Last night's closing ceremony was confusing to watch. It seemed like just a bunch of Greeks dancing around in costumes. I think it was one of those events that was probably more interesting and fun if you were actually there, and surprisingly they managed to finally fill the seats of the stadium. On TV it just looked like a mish mash of staged dances taking up small parts of the stadium floor for short periods of time. And the war dance? If I was the enemy of the Greeks about to commence war against them, and I saw them doing this dance the night before, with it's many shoulder shimmies and hip swivels, I believe I would be inspired to kick their ass.
I did watch a fair amount of the games, and as always, really enjoyed the emotion displayed in the competition. I even watched the entire women's soccer final, hoping that Zoey would be inspired by all the strong women athletes. But at her age, the only way she would have noticed them is if they all wore Elmo costumes and sang a song about tap dancing and fair play.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home