Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Biker Chic

One of the many lessons I'm learning here in Pueblo is the finely honed details of biker chic. It's a fashion reality here, a style much more in vogue than low-cut battered denim and tweed cropped jackets. And it's much more timeless than any passing fad seen on the TV, because it's a lifestyle.

For the men, a black T-shirt is primary, preferably with a mean-looking image screen printed across the front. A Harley Davidson logo is always welcome, if a little tame and overused, but then again, to look biker, one doesn't necessarily want to push the boundaries. Of course, the technical idea of looking biker is to shun the mainstream and embrace "outlaw," but inside that "outlaw" image, one needs to adopt the established rules (otherwise, how would others recognize the biker inside the outfit?) Worn out, straight-legged jeans over scuffed, black-leather biker boots complete the outfit, which all too often is instead seen with Walmart sneakers. In fact, most of the outfit probably comes from Walmart, even the Harley T-shirt.

But it's not just the clothes that make the biker man; even more important is the hair. Mullets are always acceptable, of course, in this timeless, yet mostly reminiscent of the late 70s and early 80s, biker style. Because the men must have long, long hair. The more hair the better, because it fills out the ponytail. Even if you're balding, you got to grow it out. (Here's a style-secret from a non-biker: extensions can look very realistic these days.) Color doesn't matter here; I've seen bright blond, salt-and-pepper and ethnic black hair topping this redneck uniform.

Sometimes the man in question is only recognizable as an adopter of biker chic because of his hairstyle, because he's wearing some kind of work uniform (Walmart smock, mechanic or delivery man outfit). But he's just showing off that he actually has a job. (I have no statistics to back this up, but I get the feeling that there's a relatively high unemployment rate here.)

Trey laughs at me when I talk about all the mullets and funny outfits I see here. He says I just haven't spent enough time in Pasadena and around car shops. He's probably right; he's fixed enough 96 Camaros to know the type far better than I.

On a tangential note, the other day as I drove to Walmart (yes I've been shopping there now, but that's another story), I passed a city park where there were inmates taking a lunch break from their civic duties. Believe it or not (because I didn't have my camera on me), they were wearing black and white striped outfits! I know, I know, next time a picture. I promise. (Once I figure out how to publish them here.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Mari said...

I didn't know there were mullet-fish around here. There are lots in the gulf. I'll have to tell Trey about it.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home