Friday, November 05, 2004

A disaster in the making



Hah! I bet you thought that title was about the election! Actually, I can’t decide whether or not to comment on the election. We are so overloaded with commentary right now that it’s making me sick. CNN has a new poll (a POLL! For God’s sake, enough with the polls) that says that 51 per cent of the population is pleased with the results of the election. Well, duh. Thank you CNN. And while we’re at it, thanks to FOX, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, CBS, and talk radio for all their insights into our collective minds. Boy, they are a clever bunch, our punditocracy. Without them, whatever would we think.

I should also thank the Internet, for providing a million more outlets for commentary, especially Blogger.com for allowing an outlet for mine (little though that was). And the Handsuphouston.com message board for providing a glimpse into the minds of a small number of dedicated, technologically savvy indie-rock kids (and a few adults).
I just want to smack them all right on the face.

Not that I blame any of them, really, for the state of our nation. After all, what the hell do I know of the state of our nation. It seems that more people want someone like George W. Bush to run this country. He makes them feel safer (from terrarists, sodomites and godless heathens, I guess). He is more moral to them, even god-appointed. He is the “right” choice. I really don’t understand it, or where they are coming from. They crucified Clinton for lying to the American people, yet when Bush is caught in lies, it’s explained away and conveniently forgotten. Somehow, I managed to be upset by the lies of both men. I thought both men were immoral and prone to dishonesty. Aren’t all politicians? Should I really be expecting more from one? I don’t know.

I’m looking forward to seeing Kilian play at Rudz again on Friday, though I wish Tricia had been able to come along. I told her such the other day over the phone, but she gave valid reasons to stay behind, one of which had to do with her coming to Houston “next month.”

“Next month?” I asked.

“For Christmas.”

Oh yeah, those holidays are coming up. In the past, it was more exciting to think about the days off work, but now I find myself looking forward to the actual holidays. I want to see Zoey eat some freshly cooked turkey, to see her reaction to the smorgasbord of Thanksgiving. I imagine her face lighting up when we get our first tree and trim it, and then light it up. Perhaps she’ll start to understand the concept of “presents,” and “Santa Claus.” I don’t know. The whole thing just might scare her. I do expect we’ll have to hang most of the ornaments out of her reach, otherwise she’ll just pull them down and throw them about the house. She’s not quite two, but she already has a pretty good arm.

Since I’m on the subject of Zoey, I thought I’d brag about one of her more amazing talents. She has a favorite CD full of Sesame Street songs, and she asks to play it constantly. And she’ll requests specific songs, usually rather inarticulately, so I’ll have to scroll through the CD song by song. The amazing part is that after hearing two or three notes, she’ll recognize the song and let me know whether or not it’s the song she wants. This kid has musical memory! She also knows some of the words to most of the songs, though, since the song lyrics are made up of longer sentences than she’s able to cope with, she usually just waits until the last word of the line (“….star……are…..high…..sky…etc). What can I say? She’s certainly a genius.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home