Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Post Christmas, Pre New Year

"These are handbasket times," Trey said to me this morning, though I forgot what it was he was referring to. Something mundane in our little world, in addition to the tragedy that's going on in South Asia. My head is reeling a little over all those sad stories, especially when you read about all the children: the ones who were taken from their mother's arms, or who were wandering around alone in the aftermath. It's really beyond comprehension. I. can't. comprehend.

I'm actually shaking a bit right now, having just viewed some footage of the tsunami from unlucky tourists--actually, make that lucky tourists--posted on ifilm.com. I watched as a man held onto a post in a restaurant on the beach with one hand and his video camera in another and just hung on as the water swirled around him; he caught footage of other frantic tourists, including one unlucky couple who got swept away. It's horrifying and I can't look away. But then I had to, to make Zoey her lunch. I put some water on the stove to make her some peas, both of us just saying, "Wow," over and over again. It seemed fitting to have an echo to my sentiment.

1 Comments:

Blogger bb said...

too sad, and we have friends over there right now.. they sent an email saying they were luckily not too close, and were safe and sound.. what scary is that they were planning on being there the next day in phucket for their wedding anniversary!

by the way, i finally re-signed-up and am blogging now.. check out my cool clocks!!! bb

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home