Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Dolls from hell

Spooky: Someone is selling an interesting collection of haunted dolls on eBay. I can't tell if it's real or just bad fiction writing to try and get more for the dolls.



"You are bidding on part of a collection assembled by my great uncle...
This beautiful doll belonged to a girl named Loretta. Loretta
suffered from severe epilepsy. She insisted that she could avoid seizures by
keeping this doll, which she called, “Molly Malone”, close by her
side.

Curiously, Loretta claimed that she could see the future
during her epileptic fits. She correctly predicted the pregnancy of her sister
and the death of her grandmother. In her most recent grand mal seizure, she had
seen signs that her own death was approaching. She was not sure whether her
premonition indicated that her death would result from a seizure or from an
upcoming surgical procedure to separate the two hemispheres of her
brain.

In the weeks before her surgery, Loretta began to let it be
known that she did not want the surgery. After thoroughly questioning the girl,
Loretta’s mother determined that Loretta didn’t want to be separated from Molly
Malone; that’s why she had begun to resist the idea of the surgery. Her mother
assured her that she would see to it that Molly Malone was allowed to accompany
her into surgery.

The day of the operation came. Loretta and Molly
Malone were wheeled to the operating room. After Loretta was under anesthesia,
the surgeon began the grueling procedure. Within five minutes the surgeon
requested that Molly Malone be taken to the recovery room. He had tried to work
around the doll and wicker chair, but the two items were just too big to
navigate safely.

Loretta didn’t make it through the surgery. She
had a seizure and died on the operating table.

It is said that
people staying in the same house as this doll have fallen to the floor in
seizure-like fits. Some reported having premonitions while they were in the
seizure-like state. In every case, the premonitions later came true…"

Weird and funny stuff. Gave me a chill reading it. What I can't explain is why I'm up after midnight looking through random eBay listings. I think I'm going through one of those acquiring moods--I just want to get stuff. My timing is good, except that I'm supposed to be buying stuff for other people. I don't mind buying stuff for other people--I enjoy it even--but it interferes with the aforementioned acquiring mood. What I want right now is the satisfaction of something new: in my closet, on my feet or on my daughter. Something I can catch out of the corner of my eye and wonder, for a moment, what it is. And I know I'm not going to find it on eBay, but there's just so much goddamn stuff to look at.

I don't know. You go through these moods where you just crave something different. Baby steps of change. The odd part is that it isn't a really wholly satisfying feeling, but then, my consumerism is not my religion.

This was a pretty random post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home