Thursday, January 18, 2007

The ice is melting!

Hooray! We get to leave the house today! I'm very excited to be able to go to a store, as we're out of a lot of food. Since we were just stuck inside, I actually did a bit of cooking. At first, it was fun. I made a slow-cooker roast on Sunday. A nice curry-tinged vegetable barley soup for lunch and a delicious mashed potato and cheese stuffed meatloaf for dinner on Monday. Tuesday we had spaghetti and meatballs (mmm, comfort food). Actually, I had planned on eating leftovers on Tuesday, thinking it would be the last day of our confinement, but by dinnertime, Trey insisted on fresh food. It was good, though. But by wednesday, really, I was over it. We ate leftover soup for lunch and frito pie for dinner. (Frito pie also qualifies as comfort food in this house.) But today we get to leave the house!

It's not raining outside, but it sure sounds like it. Every now and again there's a heavy "kthunk" sound on the roof from a larger chunk of ice falling off the tree. There are two big trees in our yard, and I'm very grateful they didn't break.

Since my only entertainment these last few days were the brief periods I snuck outside to take some pictures, I'm going to a small portion with you. Because, I have to do something with them, since I never bothered to submit them to any news sites. With little fanfare, I give you:

The ice storm of 2007:
Day one (or, Hey-we're-gettin'-an-ice-storm-day):
Little baby icicle

A smattering of ice by the big tree in the back yard

Just the tiniest bit of ice surrounding a tree seed

The field behind our house with just a touch of ice and a fair amount of puddled water


Day two (or, whoo-hoo-lookee-it's-snow-falling-from-the-sky day):
Ice covered branch and leaves. It's still just a little bit of ice.


Ice-covered tree seed from my neighbor's tree



Our backyard: Note the tiny little bit of snow on the ground, and also note the absence of tree limbs hanging close to the ground.



Look! Snow! (and oh, hey look! I've switched from uploading to blogger to linking to them from my smugmug site because it's faster)


Icicles at night
javascript:void(0)
Publish

Day three (or, the seriously-it's-icy-out-there-but-oh-my-god-I-need-to-get-out-of-my-house day)

Ice covering the ground


Remember the neighbor's tree with the little seeds?


Same tree, close-up of seeds (also, cooly snake-like)


Pic of the backyard: remember the big tree and the neighbor's from the other photo? No? That's because the limbs were way high up out of the picture. Now they're weighted down at least ten feet.


Icy field behind my house:


Icy twigs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home