Saturday, May 26, 2007

In keeping with the pretty flower theme from the previous post, today's post will ruminate on the type of gardening I would like to do in my yard. We'll call it "Dream Gardening" or "Future Gardening Plans." First thing I want to do is get some containers going for the patio. While it is a covered patio, there should be enough sunlight hitting the edges between the houses to sustain some healthy plants. I'm thinking rectangular planters with herbs and flowers. Well, right now, maybe just flowers, as it's a little late to be starting any herbs.

Another backyard project that I don't want to wait too long to do is to is trim back all the freakishly overgrown trees back here. At one point, the previous owner planted a number of small trees; the next door neighbor says she had intended for them to be hedges. Only the resident after her didn't keep up with them and we have massively overgrown trees with branches strangling each other left and right. A lot of the trees have branches brushing up against the house as well (they were causing roof damage, but the roofers trimmed back some of those). Not to mention, the overgrown trees are blocking my view of the backyard.

We also have this lovely area in front of the stone wall, currently occupied by some flimsy, skinny trees. I think most of these trees will eventually be removed--especially the two that are falling down. I'd like to expose the wall a bit more so that I can use it aesthetically somehow.

The vivid oleander bush will stay, but in the fall I'm going to cut it way back so that I can use the existing planter space in front of it. This is a prime area that gets good sun, so I'm actually thinking vegetables here. Not sure which, but man, I really want to start a vegetable garden. Especially now that grocery prices seem to go up every week. Of course, as the only real vegetable eater in this family, I'm gonna have to get very creative with my cooking. I mean, Z eats veggies, but not as much as she used to--she now has to kind of be "in the mood." It sucks.

These trees here grow way too close to the side of the house and need to be cut back by the wall.

So, anyway, container gardens and tree trimming--my first year plans for my backyard. That, and ruminating on what to do next year...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yer yard is so big it looks like a park! i like...a great canvas with which to work.

10:27 AM  
Blogger bb said...

wow thats nice. im totally jealous up here with my asphalt. anyway, dont forget the outdoor table & chairs, and gas grill.. mAYBE you can even convert your non-veg-eatin' family by grilling those veggies you grow in yr back yard - yum!!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Your yard is huge. I like the idea about using the wall more and getting rid of the 2 sickly trees. I vote for basil, rosemary, and a citrus tree.

Veggies...squash seems to grow well in Texas. COntainer garden it for this year and think about next year.

The stone wall is really cool!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home