Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Geeks love Guided by Voices

Well, Trey’s back in Pueblo for a little while, hopefully just a little while. It looks like Albuquerque is next, which should be fun, and very close to Theresa. I’d like to experience some kind of winter, even if just to be able to bitch about it.

I took him to the airport yesterday, seemingly an easy enough task, only I had to drive there and back twice because he left his keys on the counter. Wouldn’t have discovered this mistake except for the fact that he was pulled out of the security line and searched. (The official term is apparently POW—person one way, which is an automatic search.) He then accused the transportation security experts of losing his keys. Heh heh, he felt a little sheepish later on. It was a painful and frustrating experience, but better than going to Colorado and being left on the doorstep to your apartment unable to get inside. Colorado’s pretty cold at night, these days. Also, on the second trip up there, as I was speeding down 59, there was an absolutely gorgeous sunset. A real fire-kissed sky. If I’d had my camera I’d have tried to snap a picture, but it’s probably best I didn’t, as I was speeding down the freeway during rush hour traffic. Sometimes the universe takes care of you in irritating ways.

Sunday night, Kelly invited me to go with her to see GBV at the Engine Room. Her husband had bought her the tickets, but had to work himself. Lucky for me, I like GBV plenty, and Trey agreed to watch the little one. So, she and I had a nice little girls’ night out. It was a good show, but it would have been better if a) we hadn’t gotten there so early that we were through drinking by the time GBV started their set, which was b) so long that we both wanted to take a nap during the middle. The thought of leaving came to us, but Trey had reminded me to stay until the encore, when they’ll play their best stuff (at least, best in my opinion). So we waited, yawning—I mean, come on, we’re old mommas these days—and playing Tri-Towers on the Megatouch, until the encore, which came approximately two hours after they started. It was a long, energetic set by a band that had put out, as Bob Pollard kept reminding the crowd, “Fifteen albums, 80 EPs and 756 singles.” They only played the smallest portion of their songs. Fortunately, he played a lot of fun ones, though my knowledge of GBV songs is really limited to “Alien Lanes” and Bee Thousand.” We walked away from the Megatouch for the encore, and jumped around a bit in our tired, way-past-our-bedtime-stopped-drinking-two-hours-ago kind of way. By this time, the better drinkers and more dedicated fans were a massively hypnotized throng of writhing bodies in front of the stage, fists full of beers raised and pumped to the beat of every song, worshipping the throne of Bob, the former elementary school teacher. I wondered if it was so very different from being in front of the class. Okay, sure, there’s a LOT more alcohol involved, but the hero worship must be a little similar.

Not being drunk or familiar enough with most of the songs, I looked to the crowd itself for entertainment and was not disappointed. It was a sea of software engineers and other computer geeks; people who stare at a screen all day listening to obscure music. Yes, that’s a sweeping generalization, but here are a few facts: the crowd was predominantly male, like 80 percent, and many of these guys were either funky-shirt wearing skinny, or clever T-shirt wearing chubby. The few girls there were obviously on a date with their boyfriends (who no doubt introduced them to the band, hee hee, like mine did). Kelly and I were each hit on by one of the many single guys there, and each was summarily rejected, politely. And finally, we were nowhere near the oldest people in the room. Which made us happy, for we are simple folk.

I did enjoy the show, and am now going to listen to some more GBV (of course, Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand). A major plus was Tobin Sprout opening, and he played a lot of his GBV songs. Overall, it was a fun night out. We saw Piam and hung out with him, and I got the high score on Tri-Towers. Also, I really, really love it when I go see a band and the people on stage are older than me. It makes me want to rock out again. I miss playing music.

Congratulations if you’ve made it to the end of this post. Your reward is today’s fun Web site: http://www.fuckthesouth.com/. It’s funny because it’s true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home