Friday, November 16, 2007

Last night I watched "Who Killed the Electric Car," and it made me really sad to see all those perfectly good cars destroyed (oh wait, did I just ruin the ending for you?). One of the things that struck me was that I had never heard of these cars before. The only all electric cars I'd ever known about where those boxy, futuristic-looking, microscopic concept cars that I'd see a photograph of from time to time on news sites. They all looked completely unrealistic, and frankly, ugly.

But according to this doc, there were stylish plug-in electric cars available for lease in California during the latter half of the nineties, up until 2004, when the last electric car was forcibly ripped from it's proud and happy leasee's hands. The GM EV1 was a sleek 2-seater coupe, admittedly not family friendly at all. But they had Rav4 EVs! and truck EVs! And gas costs $3 a gallon here now!

I'm not one to really bother with conspiracy theories (not because I don't think they exist, I just don't care to waste mental energy on them), but this doc made me think about corporate control of our lives, and how they really don't have our best intrests at heart. Which, of course, is something we all already know. And we just pretty much accept it, don't we?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home